How can I identify and find an external RF interferer

2G, 3G and LTE discussions regarding external interference issues and solutions

Moderators: Chilloo, CraigM

CraigM

How can I identify and find an external RF interferer

Post by CraigM » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:43 am

Hi Guys,

I think I have an external RF interferer.
I have discounted hardware and configuration issues and my symptoms are similar to external RF interferer symptoms.

But how can I know fore sure ?
How can I identify the interferer in the used frequency band and then identify the location of the interference ?

Tharaka

Re: How can I identify and find an external RF interferer

Post by Tharaka » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:47 am

Hi CraigM,

In regards to your question.
But how can I know fore sure? you have an RF external interferer.

It can depend on the mobile technology used on how easy it is to identify if you have a RF external interferer.
Some methods used are:
1. Discount all other options and RF external interference is left.
2. In depth statistical analysis.
3. Spectrum analysis trace on affected cells.

In regards to your questions.
How can I identify the interferer in the used frequency band and then identify the location of the interference?
Method 1:
a. Use a spectrum analyser to identify the RF external interferer frequency at site.
b. Use directional antennas and triangulation to locate the RF external interferer.

Method 2:
a. Use statistical analysis to identify the frequency of the external RF interferer.
b. Use statistical analysis to identify all sites and cells affected by the external RF interferer.
c. Use mathematical triangulation to pinpoint the location of the interferer.
d. Use directional antennas and triangulation to confirm location of the interferer.

I have assisted field teams using both methods.
The best method is method 2 as you can identify and minimise the possible location of the RF external interferer from the office. Still need the field team as final proof but it is quicker, cheaper and the interferer is more likely to be located.
Another great advantage of method 2 is you can run the statistical analysis for the whole country and find and locate all the interferers and grade them by severity.

Insightus has software tools for performing statistical analysis of RF external interferers and has much experience using method 1 and 2.